Thursday, October 29, 2015

Week 10: Marriage, Money, and Sex

Marriage, Money, and Sex
            From my understanding of this chapter is that when it comes to women a dower is given to protect them. The only problem is that women are supposed to have this just in case anything goes wrong they have that money to live. But when it comes to American Muslim marriages it doesn’t always work this way as religious leaders do not have a say in the law here in the United States. But even when payment goes well for the women and she receives the dower, the idea is for her to be there for her husband and up hold the house hold. In reality this isn’t what a wife is used for instead she is used as a sexual human in which she becomes available for her husband whenever he wishes.

            When it comes to sex in a Muslim marriage this article kind of bugged me. I guess you can say it is my American views that make me feel this way. But I was shocked that the whole sexual experience and even having children is all up to the man. Even when a woman’s pleasure is said to be important to the marriage in reality it is only to the man’s bigger benefit then really trying to make sure the women is happy. The only reason one even worries about the women is to make sure the man is okay. The man having all the options and making all the choices when it comes to their sexual life really bugged me. in the sense that a women cannot even decide when she wants to have children. The way in which marriage works was really confusing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment